Friday, June 22, 2012

Umra Langiyaan


"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music”
-  Sergei Rachmaninov

I have to say that my becoming and admitting to being a diehard Shafqat Amanat Ali fan is a pretty recent happening. I have admired his voice and work in since his debut album Sagar as a part of the Fuzon band and I welcomed his entry into Bollywood with the very endearing Mitwa, like any other music lover, but it’s only recently that I realized what a beautiful body of work he has managed to do in the past few years both in Bollywood and outside it.

What is it that makes Shafqat's voice and work so special for me? And before I put forward my reasons I would like to add the disclaimer that I am no expert in critiquing music. I talk like a lay person, an average music lover, who can attribute the ear to music to many a winter evening spent with my granddad- him playing his harmonium and singing his favorite folk songs. He was a good singer and his enthusiasm was infectious. Or could it be my dad? Two walls of his room are lined with his massive collection of music tapes, the titles of which include pretty much all the greats of  the Hindustani classical music. The tapes would be played religiously each morning and evening for hours (I even protested, sometime) and the music still reverberates inside me.

Coming back to the reasons why I think Shafqat‘s voice is special: the number one of course is his rigorous training in classical music. And then there is the spiritual element of his personality which gets reflected in the words that he writes or the music that he composes. And last but not the least is his ability to keep up with times, to experiment, fuse and reinvent his music to make it more in tune with the times- The way he chooses his songs when he sings for the others in Bollywood also reflects that. While the latter two might become topics for later blogs, for this one I want to stick to his background in classical music.

When I searched for his non Bollywood music, I stumbled upon this video. 

It sounded interesting – both the words the music. And then it led me to discover the other star of his family, the much loved Asad Amanat AliKhan, his elder brother who passed away, relatively young in 2007. This was one of his most loved song. A Punjabi song written by Mazhar Tirmazi interspersed with some lines of Ghulam Farid. The YouTube comments and the reactions of the audience say it all. But more than everything it’s the joy on his face while he sings which reflects the passion that this family has for their music.

It is not fair not compare the two renditions as the one by Shafqat is done on request in a live concert, impromptu, with a rock band as an accompaniment, while Asad Amanat Ali performs in a studio mehfil with traditional instruments. The quality of sound and video are also vastly different (Shafqat’s is probably captured on phone)
But the point is that these two stars come from the same family. They were taught and polished by their grandfather, father and uncle who are stalwarts of music. Both the brothers’ singing has the ability to surprise. While Asad’s voice for me is like a playful mountain brook which can make you marvel at its ability to change its course at will, Shafqat’s comes across as a placid lake that makes you wonder what is coming out next from its depths. That’s the power of classical discipline, the might of the musical genes! It gives a singer the authority and the control that sets him apart form an untrained voice.

"Umran Langiyaan", when translated form Punjabi, means “lifetimes have passed”. It definitely takes more than one lifetime for listeners like me to even begin to grasp the might of this music which has transcended through generations in this musical clan…

7 comments:

  1. Your blog truly captures the essence of Shafqat's music, persona and uniqueness... Keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  2. bohat hi.achha ho agar shafqat bhai isse.studio main pesh karein.. baaqi.asad ji to lajawab the

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you share with me some link, where i find urdu OR english translation of this poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can any share the complete translation of this poetry in English or Urdu?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Translation of Umraan Langiyan... by my friend, Usman! :)

    Th song sounds more soulful and more beautiful now...all thanks to him...
    ____________________________________________________________

    God, firstly beautiful, secondly cold hearted, thirdly not attentive to us, the earthly men.

    Whom do I turn to to defend me in God's court for there are no lawyers there.

    All my life spent waiting, stay strong my hasty heart, wait even more.

    Never came the news of relief.

    Colour of flowers is black, in this season of red roses.

    Waters of life's pain flow inside my soul.

    This pain has a life longer than the life of our own.

    I am in a constant wait of my beloved, sitting and scaring the crows away.

    Should I go to see my beloved myself or a postman would suffice? I am now sick with longing.

    Ghulam Faid I long for my beloved the way a lost crane longs for its flock.

    ReplyDelete